Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Alice Walker Everyday Use

January 12th, 2009

We were to read the Active Reading of Literature and Alice Walker's Everyday Use.
The Walker story really confused me a bit and I notice I had to keep going back and reading things over because i didn't understand.
Overall I thought it was a good story. It was short so I liked it even better.
It was about a mother who is hard-working and takes pride in the things she has, which are hand made. She has two daughters, one who went off to college and the other who stays at home with the mother. It was about how they felt about heritage and what it meant to each of them. For Dee ( the daughter who went to college) needed items that the family made to hang up or decorate her house. Where the mother is just living her life how she always had and using the items her family made as tools and not as art work.

Words to look up:
(none)

No comments:

Post a Comment